Think Pink

I cast on a p_ssyhat for myself while the Mercury socks were out of commission. I’m not able to go to the Women’s March on Washington this Saturday, but I wanted to be able to support the marchers from afar. I cast on 88 stitches in a sport/dk weight (the label said dk but I disagree) held double, and after five or so inches of knitting a slipped stitch pattern, it was clear this hat might fit my niece A, if I was lucky.

I frogged it back and cast on 96 stitches and repeated while my brother and I watched Nerve (okay movie, the ending redeems it). Then, yesterday while I worked on it, I tried it on. It was so tight it actually hurt. I ripped it out again at maybe 6:00 that night and tried again.

img_1730

This is what it looked like once I yanked it off the needles. I then unraveled it and cast on 100 stitches on needles a size up. I forgoed (forwent? forgave?) the slip stitch pattern and knit it plain vanilla organizing my yarn scraps into a gradient while I listened to hours and hours of Welcome to Nightvale. This is what it looked like five hours later.

img_1750

(An aside? I just saw my cat launch herself off the arm of the couch and fly through the air. She is now tearing around the house at breakneck speeds. That’s it. I just had to share)

The yarns used so far are (from bottom to top) Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool XL in ‘Cinnamon’, Berroco Weekend Dk in ‘Rose’ (I think) held double, Cascade 220 Superwash  in ‘Strawberry Cream’ (Again, I think), and at the very top there’s KnitPicks Swish DK in ‘Conch’. There’s one more color after that, but I have no idea what it is, other than I used it in this project eons ago (think old blog eons ago).

I alternated between my p_ssyhat and knitting my Katzen Bites Back socks with the needle I found that night in my bedsheets whilst waiting for my new Chiaogoos to arrive. (Why did I find it there? How did it get there when I did not knit in or near my bed that day? Who knows.)

They arrived yesterday and are, for the time being, redundant. I’m sure I can find some way to put them to use. For now, look at how cool the laser etching tells you the size is!

img_1754

Full disclosure, this picture is a wee bit blurry because only one hand is holding the camera. The other is holding the needle because the first time I took the picture (with two hands) the needle rolled off of the windowsill and down into the baseboard heater. It came out the bottom, but I didn’t want to tempt fate.

Anyway, I finished up the cuff in short order and turned the heel while watching Furious7 with my brother. (He and my mom are the ones setting up the Netflix queue. This means it’s a cultural whiplash-inducing mix of Humphrey Bogart and his peers, and brand new action movies.)

I struggled to turn the heel, the first few times I ended up with a bunch of stitches left on one side and none on the other.  I then began to think I was smarter than the designer (No, no I’m not. Not about this.) and try to come up with the ‘correct’ number of stitches to knit at the beginning of the heel. Then, finally, I ripped it back to the heel flap and started at my knitting, forcing myself to tune out five minutes of a car chase on the side of a mountain. And lo-and-behold, when I followed the instructions accurately, I ended up with a proper heel.

img_1736

I’ve since finished the gusset and am chugging along nicely on the foot. I would really like to finish it tonight, but since the Netflix dvds (we can’t stream things on our internet where we live) were sent back today that means there won’t be any new movies tonight. Maybe more Welcome to Nightvale, or we’ll have to dig through our collection. It is totally possible to finish it tonight except for the fact I’m worried I will run out of yarn.

img_1741

This is how much of the first ball I have left. I planned one ball per sock. 50 grams should be plenty per sock. Maybe knitting a seven-inch leg wasn’t the best idea. I was going to measure the foot so we could over-analyze whether I was going to make it together, but now I can’t find my tape measure.

Advertisements

2 thoughts on “Think Pink

  1. You are just not having a good time with all the frogging lately. With that said, I also made a hat…and I kind of made it up as I went along. I used worsted, US #7 and #8 needles (started on #7 and switched to #8 after a couple inches of ribbing on the smaller one)….it worked out quite well. Only downside is that I have a pretty good sized ball leftover. ::sigh::

    Liked by 1 person

    • That’s a good idea. Mine were on size us 7 I think. I’ve finished it now and it’s a bit roomy, but I like it. I might be making my mother one and I’ll try that with the ribbing is she does end up wanting one.

      Like

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s