Spindle Wands

On today’s podcast, we’re talking more about my sweater body and the progress I’ve made. I’m also working on my shawl still, making not as much progress on that but still enjoying it. I’ve not yet finished the gnome pants like I thought I would, but I will! It’s a fun time this week so stay for a while and listen to me ramble.

~~~~~

Skeleton Key (Sweater), By: AndreSueKnits

Gnome Pocket Pals, By Debi Birkin

~~~

Thunderstorm Mystery Knit-along, By: Alicia Plummer

~~~

Walking the Walkers, By: Bohemia Fibers

Sunflowers at Sunset, By: JoyfulSheepStudio

Aaronmakesstuff

~~~

You can find me on:

Instagram: kninernat

Ravelry: Kninernat

My Etsy Shop: KnittyNerdyNatural

Where do kings keep their Armies?

I am a lover of costumes and dress up and make believe. I have been since I was little. If there’s  a story that wants telling, I ‘ll tell it, preferably in costume. I think this is why I like cosplay so much. You get to become the character and continue the story for a little while. So, when J suggested that we cosplay Booker and Elizabeth from the video game BioShock Infinite I said yes immediately. Naturally, I offered to sew the costumes. I was excited and rather nervous to do that but, I assumed I could figure it out.

And, I have. Mostly. The skirt is finished, thanks to the help of my mom. I used this blog post as a jumping off point in terms of patterns she used and just general ideas on how to construct her costume. (the pattern she recommended was Simplicity 1819)

7.9.15.3

I decided that I was going to do start the bolero and do that on my own. The first challenge I encountered were the sleeves. Neither sleeve in the pattern I had was the right type, so one sweltering evening after work, I took a deep breath and began to modify the existing sleeve.

IMG_7668The first thing I did was measure the circumference around a button up shirt that fits me comfortably. It was 8 & 1/4″ (or ~21 cm). this would be the circumference of the bottom of the sleeve. Since the fabric won’t stretch in the costume I made sure to measure a sleeve that I could fit my hand through without unbuttoning it.

The next step was to take the patterned sleeve and measure the bottom. Across it was 16 & 1/2″ (or ~42 cm) since it was a bell sleeve.

IMG_7669

I then found the middle of the sleeve, 8 & 1/4″ (or ~21 cm). The next step was to measure out the circumference of the sleeve of my button down shirt onto the pattern, having it centered in the middle. So, I found 4 & 1/4″ (or ~11 cm)on either side of the middle mark. I had found the bottom line of the pattern.

IMG_7671

I then traced a straight line from the point where the sleeve started to flare out to the new bottom edges I had drawn. (The first time I did it I drew the new  edges in accordance to the smallest size, not the largest, which was the size I needed)

IMG_7674

IMG_7675

I then cut out the new sleeves on the lines I had made and, voila! I had created new sleeves for myself out of an existing pattern. Until, I realized that that I had forgotten seam allowance. Seam allowance being the extra 1/2 inches or so given so that the seamstress has room to sew without being right up against the edge of the fabric.

Of course, I realized this after I had cut the sleeves out. I let it sit for a few days and then returned, there had to be some way to fix it, I couldn’t be beaten by, what amounted to, a once-inch wide strip of fabric.

So, I decided that I must add back onto my pattern.

IMG_7676 I taped two pieces of printer paper to the edges of the sleeves and measured out 1/2″ (or ~1 cm) on either side of the bottom edge. I then drew a line, as I had before, up tot the point on the pattern where it had tarted to bell out, because, before that point in the given pattern it had had seam allowance.

IMG_7677I then cut the pattern out and started to pray to the Cosplay gods that I had big enough scraps let over to cut out two more sleeves. I held my breath and laid the pattern out. It looked like it could happen. It was close, I definitely had enough for one sleeve but two was iffy.  All I could do was cut out the sleeves and hope for the best.
IMG_7678Somehow I made it. I had enough with nothing to spare. It was a tense moment but, int the end I got my sleeves cut out.

After that, how tough can the actual sewing be, right?

PS~ Kings totally keep their armies in their sleevies.

Episode 8: Kitsch

This week I’ve made some visible progress on the things I’m knitting. I’m working on my WIPs and I actually have an FO to share! Excitement. I’m still spinning away for the Tour de Fleece. I can’t wait for you all to see the new bags I’ve made, the new fabric I used is great!

Skeleton Key (Sweater), By: AndreSueKnits

Gnome Pocket Pals, By Debi Birkin

~~~

Thunderstorm Mystery Knit-along, By: Alicia Plummer

~~~

Walking the Walkers, By: Bohemia Fibers

Sunflowers at Sunset, By: JoyfulSheepStudio

~~~

You can find me on:

Instagram: kninernat

Ravelry: Kninernat

My Etsy Shop: KnittyNerdyNatural

Episode 7: I Might Have Made a Skirt

Hello everybody, I have another podcast for you guys. This week, I talk about my continuing works in progress, knitting-wise and spinning-wise. The Tour de Fleece has me spinning more than I ever have before and I’m still trying to reach the armholes on my sweater. There’s also a sewing project, a super cool one that has, unfortunately taken up a lot of my normal knitting time.

Skeleton Key (Sweater) By: AndreSueKnits
~~~
Thunderstorm Mystery Knit-along, By: Alicia Plummer
~~~
Walking the Walkers, By: Bohemia Fibers
Sunflowers at Sunset (Roving), By: JoyfulSheepStudio
~~~
You can find me on:
Instagram: kninernat
Ravelry: Kninernat
My Etsy Store: KnittyNerdyNatural

I accidently forgot, last week to link you all to my previous podcast so I’m going to embed it into this post as well.